Saturday 5 October 2013

Owen Hargreaves - Rejection

The summer of 2006 in July was a big turning point in my life. It's the date at which Manchester United had signed me from German giants Bayern Munich. As illustrious and successful Bayern Munich was, signing up for Manchester United was a new challenge for me in many senses, I was an England international and it was great to get a chance to play in England for club level also as well as internationally. However, the move to Manchester was the biggest turning point of my career to date, my highs consequently turned into my lows.

I enjoyed great years at Bayern Munich, winning trophies with no problems and being a consistent england international at all levels. I was s star in the eyes of Munich and English fans, as well as the England national team manager. I won player of the year awards at Munich in consecutive seasons. I had every reason and much optimism to be joining Manchester United in the summer of 2006. I settled in well at United, playing well, I helped United become champions of europe and champions of england in the same season, both at Chelsea's expense. However, after that season, the whole landscape of my career had changed. I injured my knee heavily and would leave me out of action for a long time. I kept positive and tried to recover as soon as possible. I was close to recovery, then I was told my the England manager that he wont be picking me until I was back to 100%, which was understandable. As I was closing in on my return, I done my knee again heavily which kept me out longer. It was two years now, me sitting on the sidelines watching my team win as I was getting payed for being injured. I returned in my first game after two years in Old Trafford. I was pumped up to reignite my career, but five minutes in, I tore my calf muscle in two places. 'It's my first game in two years, I've had a standing ovation and I've now got 70,000 people looking at me - millions more on TV - and all I can think is, "Try not to limp". I look like a joker.''
After that, Manchester United were done with me and I don't blame them. The released me in the summer of 2011, the manager was getting impatient and I felt he lacked trust in me again. Manchester City came for me and I signed for them. That's when I opened up about my experience with the medical staff at United. They used many procedures to mend me, but many didn't work, I felt like a dummy as I thought they were testing there medical cures on me. Manchester City only played me twice, that''s when I realised they only signed me to annoy Manchester United who were their biggest rivals. They released me for free in just a few months, no professional team came in for me. I was a gifted player at the peak of his powers just 3 years ago and clubs would scramble over me. Now I was rejected by football clubs and by my country as I never will get a chance to play for England again. Not every career ends in a fairytale, I learnt that the hard way.

1 comment:

  1. Blimey! You really love Manchester United!

    This is an engaging piece of writing and a good attempt to write from the perspective of a character other than yourself. You write well about the character’s thoughts and feelings, but you could improve by trying to create a more distinctive voice. How could you do this? (Thoughts below please).

    Also, could you correct a few basic errors in your writing?
    • Capital letters where appropriate (e.g. England, NOT england – paragraph 2);
    • Correct use of there/their (check paragraph 3).

    Finally, think about how you craft your writing. Try to use a variety of sentence structures. Have a look at paragraph 2 and rewrite at least one sentence so that it doesn’t start with ‘I’.

    ReplyDelete