Saturday 5 October 2013

Moscow 2008

Chucking down, this wasn't any usual rainy day that we get in England. Saturday, 21st May 2008 was the best experience I ever endured as a Manchester United fan. Having been born in Manchester and living there for the first six years of my life, it was special going to Russia to watch my team play in the Uefa Champions League final. It was the first match I'd ever gone to watch of Manchester United's, so it was a very big deal for me. The opposition was Chelsea, and losing to a team from the same country as you in the biggest stage of club football isn't a situation you want to be in as a player or a supporter. So there were a few nerves jangling around in the stadium from both sets of fans. All I could think about was watching the likes of Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo play for Manchester United, and of course, seeing the main man, Sir Alex Ferguson. As the whistle for kick off was approaching, I couldn't help but chew my gum faster and faster and glance at my watch every few seconds. I know understood why Fergie did it so much, even with all that experience, big games like this always got to him, but he was an artist at staying calm and composed as long as a decision didn't go against him. 
As the referee blew this whistle, the crowds erupted with noise, as if the English were here to take over Moscow. We started brilliantly with passing precision and a touch of class by the golden oldies Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs. World player of the year Cristiano Ronaldo set us off on a flyer with the opening goal of the game with a sublime header. After that, it was edge of the seat stuff, we certainly won the first half of the game, however the second half belonged to Chelsea. They equalised through Chelsea legend Frank Lampard to make it all square and everything to play for. A concession of chances game for both teams in the remainder of the game, including extra time. Then, the final whistle went, and it was time for the lottery. Penalty shootouts are never a nice way to lose any match, especially the CL final, but it had to be done, and one team was going home being just second best.  



I still remember it like it was just yesterday, my pulse was moving so fast I couldn't bare to watch. First stepped us Carlos Tevez, he scored. Then Ballack for Chelsea, he scored. The big penalty was the third one, all eyes were on Cristiano Ronaldo, every camera, millions of eyes on him at once. The best player in the world up against the best keeper in the world at the time. CR7 stepped up, and he missed. He covered his face with his hands almost as if to hide himself from everyone around him. It was a big miss, and a miss that was inches away from handing the CL to Chelsea. Literally, inches. Captain fantastic John terry stepped up or Chelsea to win the CL, if he scored, it would of been done and dusted, and Chelsea would be champions of Europe. I'd never felt so bad in my life, I got a text from my friend in London who supports Chelsea that very second saying, ''Moscow's blue tonight.'' He stepped up, and everything felt slow motion and agonising. As soon as John Terry stuck it, I saw Van Der Sar dive the opposite way from the ball and my heart sank. A split second later, the red half of the  stadium went absolutely ballistic, raving over John Terry's penalty miss. He struck the post, as soon as he missed I remember immediately searching for Ronaldo, and the expression on his face told the story, pure relief. On the shootout went, Ryan Giggs did score the winning penalty for United that nighty. But at that time, no one knew yet. Giggs scored then it was Anelka's turn, he looked scared from the moment it was his turn to take a penalty. Anelka hesitantly shot, and Edwin Van Der Sar pushed it clear for a Manchester United win. That was it, the players all ran towards Edwin Van Der Sar to celebrate. My dad who's a real hard nut when it comes to showing emotions grabbed me and hugged me. He hadn't hugged me since I was probably 6  or 7. That's how I knew this was the big time. We roamed the streets of Moscow painting the city red. I replied to my friend's text message saying, ''Looks pretty red to me.'' Manchester United were the Kings of Europe for the 3rd time. 














1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mohammed (I think it’s you).

    This is an engaging piece of writing which effectively communicates the excitement that you felt watching Man Utd. in Russia and the passion you have for your team. What do you make of their poor start to this season? Do you think they will improve?

    You use some interesting vocabulary in this piece and some thoughtful, well-crafted use of language; I particularly like the description of Ferguson as ‘an artist at staying calm’. Are you interested in sports journalism?

    One way I would like you to think about improving your writing is by using the full range of punctuation, including colons and semi-colons. Follow this link to find out how to use them properly (they are often misused!) and try to add one of each to your post.

    http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/exercises/grammar/grammar_tutorial/page_05.htm

    ReplyDelete