Thursday 10 October 2013

Rejection

Rejection

Living in a world full of strangers, with no parents, no siblings, nobody to turn to. Yes, this is my life at the age of 15. With my mother being a raging alcoholic as a result from my father’s death when I was 8 due to a car accident; there was nothing ever on her mind other than where she will get the money for her next can of beer. As a child, I assumed this behaviour was just her grieving and she will in time be back to normal however, this I realised was not the case when I came home from school one day to find the police at my door step.

“Excuse me officer, is there a reason for why you are outside my house? Did someone break in? Is my mum okay?!” I said to man in the uniform worriedly. 

“No son, you must be Jack, there has been no burglary, however I will need you to come with me” said the police man calmly.

It was a long ride to the station and I had reached the building to find my mother in a prison cell. I still have the image of her mischievous smirk on her face when I walked in. It seemed almost as if she was relieved to not have to look after me anymore as she watched my expression when I was told she had been locked up for murder of an innocent old lady as she went to steal money off her. This crime had been shown on the news and I was humiliated but the worst of all was the reaction I had received when I walked into my new care home which I didn’t want to go to. The looks of disgust on the kids faces as if I was a piece of trash.
Weeks went on and I hated the place until finally someone pushed my final button.                                                                   
“Hey, new kid, I bet you’re glad your alcoholic of a mother is locked up. That’s where she belongs” said Lucy with a huge grin on her face.

That was it. I couldn’t deal with it.

How can people be so cruel?

I stormed to my bedroom, packed up my essentials and I was off. I didn’t care if I had to live on the streets, I just couldn’t cope.


And from then on, no one had ever heard or seen me again.

Hanisha D

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Hanisha.

    This is a concise piece of writing with good use of dialogue to engage the reader and a clear exploration of the theme.

    To improve: try to create a more believable and convincing character by including more detail. Before you start writing you should get to know your character really well and after reading your writing the reader should feel that they know your character. Give me a piece of information about your character that will help me to get to know him.

    Also please write a short paragraph making connections between your story and ‘Huckleberry Finn’? Are there any similarities in the themes / messages that your story and the novel explore?

    ReplyDelete